Toll NTrain Retrievers
June 24, 2019, 10:00:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome! - Training Your Tollers for Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: range drills?  (Read 1662 times)
Jennifer Coulter
Novice

« on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »

Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while since i don't actually get to play at the field game.

Some of you know that I do avalanche rescue work with my toller.  I also work as an instructor with our avalanche rescue dog group.  Of interest to the board, I just saw two nice tollers assessed for our program last week!  I hope to see them progress in this search venue.

Anyhoo, my question...i have a question.  I was asked by another member of our search group if there are any drills/games that I know of that encourage range (independent distance) from the handler.  I thought maybe there were some kind of retriever drills that would be useful.  Occationally we see dogs that don't range far enough from the handler when searching.  Almost always a created issue...but none the less..thought you all might have some interesting ideas?

Thanks....

Jennifer and Farley
Eric Johnson
Senior

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »

It's been years since I've taught this ... and never in the snow<g>. Try to get a book on retriever training that talks about "quartering."

Quartering is the behavior a dog uses out ahead of the hunter when looking for the scent of birds. The drills tend to be fairly straightforward and you can probably use any incentive rather than birds. Actually, you are probably already teaching some form of quartering and don't know it by that name. The Jim and Phyliss Dobbs book Retriever Training has a chapter on this. So...yes, there are retriever drills that can teach a dog to work ahead of the "hunter."

Eric
Jennifer Coulter
Novice

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »

Thanks Eric, I will look for that book!

Is it the Tri-Tronics book?  Is this drill something that has to be done with an e-collar, because most of our members do not know how to use them.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:15:25 PM by Jennifer Coulter » Logged
Eric Johnson
Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »

Yes it is the TriTronics book. However, I should think that verbal corrections would work as well.

Here's an article on the subject that doesn't require a collar.

http://www.northernflight.com/sdsoquartering.htm

Eric
Jennifer Coulter
Novice

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »

Thanks so much Eric!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: