Toll NTrain Retrievers
June 24, 2019, 09:38:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome! - Training Your Tollers for Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gun Shy  (Read 3941 times)
LauraH
Senior

« on: May 18, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »

I have a friend wih a relatively young (under two years old) gun-shy Toller.  I don't know what event(s) led to the dog being gun-shy, nor do I know what she's done to remedy the problem.

Any suggestions for getting the dog back in the field game and off the sofa? 

- Laura
Jeff Tinsman
Junior

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »

Laura, I'm currently running Master Hunter with my first toller, so I'm hardly an expert on gun shyness in tollers. However, I do have longer term experience with several upland pointing breeds and from what I've seen or heard from others, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The correct approach is to develop a strong bond and trust with the dog, before introducing loud noises. Once that is done, it is common practice to start with 209 primer cap or .22 cal. short off at a distance from the dog while it is eating. The dog should show interest, not panic. This is gradually brought closer and the decibels increased.
              If the dog is exposed to a loud noise before the bonding and trust is established, some dogs will panic. A friend took a pup to a July 4th party and someone set off fire crackers. The dog paniced and tried to run home. To this day, the dog goes to the basement to hide at the first sign of thunder or any other loud noise. I am not aware of any standard cure procedure, but maybe some of the pro-trainers on the forum can offer some guidance. Good luck.      Jeff
Jeff Tinsman
Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »

Laura, Having said all that and not knowing of a dog successfully recovering from gun shyness, I offer the following link to a cure methodology available commercially:

http://www.starfirefordogs.com/index.php?pr=Gunshyness               
LauraH
Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »

Thanks, Jeff.  I'll pass it along.
Eric Johnson
Senior

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »

Check this site. http://www.calmaudio.com/

There's not a full disc on hunt test sounds but the idea is sound and the fireworks disc may help things. I know Dean Lake and will ask if she plans a "Sounds of Hunting" CD. She has some of this already collected and on the Puppy Sounds CD.

Eric
Paul Kartes
Administrator
Veteran

Train Don't Complain

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »

There actually a hunt test CD, it is called "Gunz Up" Real Trial and sounds for training.  Made by Youngglove Broadcast Services.  I am not sure if you can still get it.  My CD says 2001.

Paul Kartes
Lakota Retrievers
Tollwest
Junior

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »

There actually a hunt test CD, it is called "Gunz Up" Real Trial and sounds for training.  Made by Youngglove Broadcast Services.  I am not sure if you can still get it.  My CD says 2001.

You can buy the Gunz Up CD here: http://www.ybsmedia.com/NewGunzUp.html

I also have this "Guns & Hunting" CD http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB817 (along with most of the other CDs in the series) I start playing them for my litters as soon as they are old enough to hear.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:30:13 PM by Tollwest » Logged

Lisa Porter
Tollwest Tollers (& Chesapeakes)
~Linda~ Kasomor NSDTR
Junior

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:21:59 AM »

Interesting. Do you only let the mom in with the pups to feed them and ensure the tape is off then?

That certainly wouldn't work at my house. I don't lock the mom away from the pups.

My dogs hunt.

Gun goes off they want to know where the duck is. Momma dog certainly is NOT going to lay around being solicitous of her pups while sounds of hunt tests and hunting are going on.

And I don't want Momma dog learning to ignore guns. That would be counter productive for a hunting dog.

Cap gun method to "call" the pups to feeding time once they are on solids, with mom out of the way because she WILL trample them to get to the retrieve, works for me.

I can see those tapes working for an older dog. Or the tried and true method of having the dog enthusiastically retrieving and introducing a cap gun far enough away in conjunction with the retrieve so the dog learns the bang means retrieve. Slowly bring the gunner closer. You need three people so the dog will always go for the retrieve and not be scared off by the gunner. It's not going to be a quick fix.

Best of luck,

Linda

Linda Moran
Kasomor NSDTR
www.kasomor.com
Paul Kartes
Administrator
Veteran

Train Don't Complain

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 08:08:37 AM »

I play the cd with the mom in the room with the puppies and they do fine.

Linda all my dogs hunt, and none go nuts when they hear the cd.

Paul Kartes
Lakota Retrievers
Eric Johnson
Senior

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:37 PM »

I'm using the puppy sounds CD. I've played it through 4 times now for pups that are 2 weeks old. Muse really doesn't much care.

Eric
Tollwest
Junior

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »

Interesting. Do you only let the mom in with the pups to feed them and ensure the tape is off then?

That certainly wouldn't work at my house. I don't lock the mom away from the pups.

My dogs hunt.

Umm...we hunt our dogs too...and my dogs are smart enough to know the difference between a CD and a real gun LOL Even my hunting maniacs that go bananas at the sight/sound/smell of the shotgun will take a nap when the CD is playing. Give the dogs some credit!

And no, my moms are NEVER locked away from their pups. I start playing the CDs at 2 weeks old, at first on low volume and gradually increasing. I have several CDs including not just gunshots, but also thunder, fireworks, dog show noise.

Once they are started on solid food (typically 4-4.5 weeks) I will use a cap gun while they eat, and by 6 weeks move up to a 22 starter pistol.

BTW, rather than use the gun to call the puppies for their food, I prefer to use the whistle - it is really fun to give a come-in whistle to a litter of pups and have them all zoom in as fast as they can go! And it is a great skill that is useful for their whole lives even if not a hunting dog. I start them on the come-in whistle with their very first solid meal. I just started this a couple years ago, and really have liked the results!

Linda, I don't know if you have ever had a puppy that was clearly "sound sensitive" (I don't mean just gunshots but a natural over-reaction to any sudden loud sound). I have had a few, you can pick them out really early. I have found that using these CDs seems to really help these guys acclimate to loud noises - but I still would not place a born-sound sensitive pup in a hunting home.

Lisa Porter
Tollwest Tollers (& Chesapeakes)
~Linda~ Kasomor NSDTR
Junior

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »

I play the cd with the mom in the room with the puppies and they do fine.

Linda all my dogs hunt, and none go nuts when they hear the cd.

Well, that is interesting. Guess mine are just different.

While watching TV last night with one dog sleeping on me....a guy pumped a shot gun in the show. Dog flew off me to see where the gun was.

I must have a really good sound system.  Grin

Linda Moran
Kasomor NSDTR
www.kasomor.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: